Dec 05, 2022  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Financial Aid

The Financial Aid office, located in Clark Hall, offers financial information and counseling to all students attending IUP. The types of financial assistance offered by the Financial Aid office include student employment, educational loans, scholarships, and grants. Counseling on debt management and loan repayment options is also available.

Eligibility Requirements

The general requirements for financial aid eligibility include the following:

  1. Be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (6 credits per semester) except for the Federal Pell Grant program and Federal Work Study program.
  2. Be a US citizen, national or permanent resident, or other eligible noncitizen.
  3. Maintain satisfactory academic progress in your course of study.
  4. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment in an associate degree, bachelor’s degree, postbaccalaureate teacher’s certification, postbaccalaureate second undergraduate degree program, or eligible certificate program.
  5. Not be in default and not have failed to make satisfactory arrangements to repay any federal student loans.
  6. Not owe a repayment on a Federal Pell Grant or Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant.
  7. Resolve unusual enrollment history (if required).
  8. Not have borrowed in excess of any federal loan limits.
  9. Be registered with the Selective Service Administration, if required.
  10. Have a valid Social Security number.

Students must submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as soon as possible after October 1st to receive maximum consideration for need-based financial aid administered through the university. The Title IV school code for IUP is 003277. Additional forms or applications may be required, depending on which student aid programs are being sought. Financial aid is available for both the regular academic year and the summer sessions. Separate applications for summer aid must be submitted by the student/parent for some aid programs.

Student Responsibilities-Students who apply for financial aid have certain responsibilities, which are listed below:

  1. Accurately complete and submit the appropriate applications/forms by the published deadline dates.
  2. Submit requested materials, corrections, or new information on a timely basis.
  3. Meet the regulations and repayment schedules of student loans.
  4. Inform the Financial Aid office of any grants, scholarships, or loans received from outside organizations.
  5. Inform the Financial Aid office of any information that has changed since applying for aid.
  6. Understand the satisfactory academic progress requirements for maintaining financial aid eligibility.
  7. Use financial aid funds for educational purposes only.

Financial Aid Programs Available

Financial assistance is available in the form of grants and scholarships, student employment, and educational loans. Each of these funding sources has unique characteristics explained in more detail below.


The Student Employment Program is available to assist students in finding job opportunities on or off campus. Students may gain access to a listing of available positions by accessing the online job listing at

The Student Employment Program assists students in finding part-time employment. During the spring semester, a Spring Career Fair is conducted, providing IUP students the opportunity to meet with representatives from a variety of organizations (i.e., camps, amusement parks, resorts, recreation areas, and restaurants). Representatives from local and out-of-state organizations attend the fair. Students may view a listing of seasonal job opportunities by visiting the website Students can use MyIUP to review their eligibility for the Federal Work-Study program by following the steps in the Finances Section of the portal. They will see a message regarding their eligibility for this need-based program. If they are eligible for FWS funding, they can choose to forward a request to have the award added to their financial aid program directly to Financial Aid.

Students may be employed on campus for up to 25 hours per week when classes are in session and up to 40 hours per week during breaks, including summer.* When classes are in session, most students work an average of 10 to 12 hours per week. Students are paid every two weeks for the hours they have worked. Generally, undergraduate students are paid at the minimum wage rate.

All students are eligible to work on campus.* There are two basic types of funding sources: (1) Federal Work Study Program (FWSP) and (2) University Employment (UE). Eligibility for FWSP is based on demonstrated financial need as determined from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which must be completed every year. Inquiries about eligibility for FWSP should be directed to the Financial Aid office. Students who do not demonstrate financial need may seek UE opportunities. No financial aid application is required.

An FWSP award may affect eligibility for student loans. For more specific information on how an FWSP award could impact loan eligibility, students should inquire at the Financial Aid counter in the lobby of Clark Hall or by e-mail at

Off-campus employment opportunities vary by organization, as do the hourly wages and hours worked per week.

*International students’ circumstances may vary. For more information, please consult Student Payroll Services (724-357-2510, G-8 Sutton Hall).

Service Learning Work Study Program-This employment program places FWSP-eligible students in community service positions available off campus. In addition to earning money, students gain practical work experience related to their academic major. The Service Learning Center, which assists students in obtaining these opportunities, is part of the Career and Professional Development Center, located in 302 Pratt Hall.

PHEAA State Work Study-This employment program provides Pennsylvania students with employment opportunities in high technology and community service fields. Students can gain career-related, on-the-job work experience. Applications are available through the PHEAA website at and must be completed by both the student and the organization with which the student would like to be employed.

Important Disclaimer: The IUP Career and Professional Development Center serves only as a clearinghouse of information regarding job and internship opportunities. The listing of a position should not be interpreted as an endorsement. Students and alumni should personally research openings and agencies prior to entering into any contractual agreements. Accordingly, IUP expressly disclaims any liability in connection with potential or actual employment which results from any applicant’s response to any job posted on the website.

Educational Loans

Loan programs offer repayable assistance to students who apply and qualify for them. Repayment terms, interest rates, and borrowing limits vary from program to program. Educational loans are a serious and important obligation. Receipt of funds means that the student assumes the legal responsibility for repayment of the loan at a future date. The promissory note for the loan specifies the terms and conditions under which the student is borrowing and the repayment provisions that are in effect. Participation in community service positions after leaving school may provide for repayment of certain student loans.

Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan-The application for the Federal Direct Loan is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). First-time borrowers will also need to complete a Federal Direct Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and entrance counseling to finalize the approval process. Both the MPN and entrance counseling can be completed at​.

Through this program, freshmen may borrow up to $5,500 per academic year, sophomores may borrow up to $6,500 per academic year, and juniors and seniors may borrow up to $7,500 per academic year. An academic year at IUP is defined as the fall, spring, and summer. Subsidized Federal Direct Loans are awarded on the basis of financial need as determined by the FAFSA and require no payment of principal or interest until six months after the student ceases half-time enrollment (6 credits per semester). Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans require payment or capitalization of interest only during periods of enrollment and the six-month grace period. Following the grace period, both types of Federal Direct Loans are repayable to the US Department of Education, which can also provide current interest rate information.

Additional Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan funds are available to independent undergraduate students. Freshmen and sophomores may receive up to $4,000; juniors and seniors may receive up to $5,000. Dependent students whose parents cannot obtain a Federal Direct PLUS Loan may also be eligible for these additional unsubsidized funds. As of July 1, 2013, a first-time Federal Direct Student Loan borrower is no longer eligible for the subsidized direct loan if he or she exceeds 150 percent of the program’s published length. In addition, a borrower exceeding the 150 percent of the program length will lose the interest subsidy on his or her subsidized direct loans.

Federal Direct PLUS Loan-Parents interested in obtaining the Federal Direct PLUS Loan must establish their eligibility for the loan through a preapproval process at Parents may borrow for their dependent children up to the cost of education minus other financial aid. The loans are repaid starting 60 days after the final disbursement for the loan period is issued, however, in-school deferment provisions are available. The US Department of Education can provide current interest rate and deferment information.

Alternative Loans-A wide variety of privately financed educational loan programs are available. Each of these programs offers unique terms and conditions that affect its availability in particular circumstances. Check the ElmSelect web page at for a list of those alternative loans borrowed by IUP students in the last five years, if the lender is still participating.


Grants are funds that carry no obligation for repayment. These funds are awarded to the student on the basis of financial need.

Federal Pell Grant-The Federal Pell Grant program provides funds to eligible undergraduate students who have not earned a first bachelor’s degree or who have not used their lifetime limit. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed annually to apply for this grant. Awards are based on the number of credits for which a student is enrolled on the 15th day of the term for the Fall and Spring. Students may be eligible for a Pell Grant for fall/spring and summer. A maximum of 12 full-time semesters (or its equivalent) of eligibility is permitted.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)-Federal Pell Grant-eligible students are considered for FSEOG. Grants are awarded based on a combination of financial need and the receipt date of the annual FAFSA application. Students who receive FSEOG must be enrolled for at least 6 credits each semester.

Pennsylvania State Grant (PHEAA Grant)-PHEAA Grants are available to eligible part-time and full-time undergraduate students who are Pennsylvania state residents. You must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by May 1 to be considered. First-time applicants are also required to complete a PHEAA information form. Academic progress guidelines require that a student earn 12 new non-remedial credits (or its equivalent for part-time students) for each full-time semester for continued eligibility of grant funds. A maximum of 8 full-time or 16 part-time semesters of eligibility is permitted. During summer sessions, students must be enrolled for a minimum of five weeks.

State Grants-Some state educational agencies offer grant assistance to students who study outside of their state of residency. Out-of-state students are encouraged to investigate opportunities for grant funding from their home state.


IUP Scholarships-Departments, colleges, and the University Scholarship Committee administer various scholarship programs that have been established by alumni and friends of the university. These scholarships provide gift assistance to academically talented students and assist them in financing their educational expenses. In addition to the admission application, a general scholarship application is available at Incoming freshmen will have their eligibility for merit-based scholarships determined at the time of admissions application. Eligibility for need-based scholarships and grants will be determined automatically during financial aid award processing. See the website for further information, including contacts for each scholarship. General questions may be directed to the scholarship coordinator in the Financial Aid office, 200 Clark Hall, 1090 South Drive, Indiana, PA 15705; telephone: 724-357-2218; e-mail:

PASSHE Foundation Scholarships-Students who attend a Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education University (PASSHE) can apply for scholarships from the PASSHE Foundation. These scholarships have been established to assist both undergraduate- and graduate-level students. For more information and applications, students should visit

PHEAA-Administered Scholarships and Special Programs-Pennsylvania residents have financial aid available in the form of grants, scholarships, special programs, work-study opportunities, or loan forgiveness. Different types of aid are available for both undergraduate and graduate study. To apply for any of these programs, students will need to complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Some of these programs have submission deadlines that differ from federal programs. For complete information, Pennsylvania students can visit​.

Private Scholarships-Various service clubs, organizations, churches, schools, and industries offer scholarships to students. High school guidance offices, libraries, and hometown newspapers are often excellent sources for information concerning private scholarships. The Financial Aid office website provides a listing of various scholarship websites that will enable students to conduct searches on their own and to apply for these scholarships online. For complete information, students can visit

ROTC Scholarships-The Reserve Officers’ Training Corps (ROTC) offers many different types of scholarships. High school students can apply for the ROTC four-year or three-year Advanced Designee scholarships before attending college. College students can apply for a 3.5-year, 3-year, 2.5-year, or 2-year scholarship. ROTC scholarships pay for tuition and fees, a book allowance, and a monthly stipend (while school is in session). Scholarships are competitive and depend on the students’ academic major. Interested and eligible high school students may apply online at College students may obtain additional information and eligibility criteria by contacting the ROTC staff members in Pierce Hall at IUP or by calling 800-IUP-ROTC.

Other Resources

Athletic Grants-in-Aid-IUP is an NCAA Division II institution. Athletic Grants-in-Aid awards are available in accordance with NCAA rules and regulations at the discretion of the respective head coach. Please see for more information regarding sports that are offered.

Community Assistants-Upperclass students and freshmen at the end of their first year may apply to become community assistants at IUP. Students earn a room and board waiver, as well as a small stipend, by working as community assistants in IUP residence halls. Application timetables and deadlines are advertised in the Penn and posted in the residence halls and other locations around campus, including the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining website. Community assistants are selected on the basis of leadership, interpersonal skills, and willingness and ability to serve as role models. Community assistants must have and maintain a 2.5 GPA. For further information, please contact the Office of Housing, Residential Living, and Dining, G37 Ruddock Hall, 1099 Maple Street, IUP, Indiana, PA 15705, 724-357-2696.

Office of Vocational Rehabilitation Assistance (OVR)-Students who have physical or learning disabilities may receive educational benefits through the OVR. To be eligible, students must satisfy the physical and financial requirements of the agency. For further information, students should contact their county offices of vocational rehabilitation.

Pennsylvania National Guard Educational Assistance Program (EAP)-Together with the Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veterans Affairs, PHEAA administers this tuition assistance program for students who enter into a service commitment with the Pennsylvania National Guard for a period of six years. Eligible students who join the PennsylvaniaArmy/Air National Guard may be eligible for a state EAP grant up to the amount of the PASSHE full-time tuition rate. This award may be reduced for students who also are receiving Federal Tuition Assistance benefits and/or benefits from Chapter 33 of the GI Bill. Currently eligible students may receive ten semesters of EAP. To apply for EPA and/or receive the most current information regarding this benefit, the military member should contact the readiness noncommissioned officer at his/her unit. Additional information may also be obtained by calling 717-861-8626 or 800-GO-GUARD.

University Refund Advance

The Financial Aid office, in conjunction with the Student Cooperative Association, administers the University Refund Advance on behalf of IUP students. Funds are available only to students who are expecting a financial aid refund that is yet to be disbursed. The maximum award is $500, with repayment to be made in 60 days. No interest will be charged for these advances. Awards will be made to meet educational expenses only. See the Financial Aid office for the University Refund Advance application and additional information.

The University Refund Advance encompasses the following individual loan accounts:

  • Jennie E. Ackerman Loan Fund
  • Robert Bellis Loan Fund
  • Mary Edna Flegal Loan Fund
  • Colette Cromer Gershman Loan Fund
  • Margaret Flegal Harte Loan Fund
  • Suzanne Marshall Hartman Loan Fund
  • John Hays Memorial Fund
  • Oliver W. Helmrich Memorial Loan Fund
  • William Henzelmann Memorial Fund
  • Mary Anne Kolessar Loan Fund
  • Jane E. Leonard Memorial Loan Fund
  • Mack Loan Fund
  • Rusty Preisenderfer Memorial Loan Fund
  • Flossie Wagner Sanford Student Loan Fund
  • Varsity I Loan Fund
  • Norah Zink Loan Fund

Military and Veterans Resource Center (MVRC)

Visit Military and Veterans Resource Center   for more information.

Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

“In order to receive Student Financial Aid under the programs authorized by Title IV of the Higher Education Act, as amended, a student must be maintaining satisfactory academic progress in the course of study that he/she is pursuing.” (Federal Register/Volume 48, No. 195/Thursday, October 6, 1983.) Students must be in compliance with both the university’s Academic Standards Policy and the Financial Aid Sufficient Progress Policy (SAP) to demonstrate satisfactory progress.

These Title IV programs include Federal Pell Grant, Federal Work Study Program, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Direct Loans, and Federal Parent PLUS Loan.

A student who meets the university’s Academic Standards Policy, but who does not meet the Financial Aid SAP qualitative and quantitative standards, may continue in university registration, but will not be eligible to participate in the Federal Title IV aid programs. This happens because the Financial Aid SAP Policy is stricter than the university’s Academic Standards Policy

A full statement of requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress for Title IV Federal Student Aid is available at the Financial Aid office.

Title IV Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

The Financial Aid Sufficient Progress Policy applies to undergraduate and graduate students enrolled in the university.

a. Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP): To be considered in good financial aid SAP standing, undergraduate students must maintain a 2.0 CGPA, must successfully complete (pass) at least 67 percent of the cumulative number of their registered credits at IUP, and must complete their degree requirements within an established time frame of no longer that 150 percent of the published length of the program.

Students’ SAP is measured for each academic year at the end of the spring semester (corresponding with the end of the spring payment period), after grade processing has been completed. This measurement determines if students have met the required CGPA, have passed a sufficient percentage of credits, and time frame completion in order to be eligible for Title IV funding in future terms.

Students are notified of their financial aid suspension status via USPS direct mail when a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the upcoming academic year is on file in the Financial Aid office. Students are also able to review their SAP status on their MyIUP account.

b. Financial Aid Suspension: When students who do not meet CGPA and have not successfully passed the sufficient number of credits, all Title IV aid for that student will be suspended beginning with the next semester of attendance.

A student who is in this financial aid suspension status, however, will be reviewed at the end of the next semester of attendance (payment period) to evaluate if the percent of progress and CGPA are met. If the percent of progress and CPGA are achieved, then the student’s Title IV financial aid suspension will be rescinded beginning with the next semester of enrollment.

c. Time Frame for Degree Completion: In addition to meeting the 67 percent of progress and CGPA requirements, students must complete their degree requirements within an established time frame of no longer than 150 percent of the published length of the program. Since enrollment status may vary from term to term, the maximum period for degree completion is measured in terms of credits attempted at IUP plus any transfer credits. Part-time and full-time students are treated equally under this policy. For example, undergraduates should complete the requirements for a bachelor’s degree at the point of having 180 attempted credits at IUP (150 percent of the published length of the program).

d. Appeal Process: Students who have special circumstances, beyond their control (such as medical emergencies or death of a family member), which cause them to not make SAP, may submit a written appeal to the Financial Aid Appeals Committee for consideration of reinstatement of Title IV aid eligibility. However, a special circumstance does not guarantee an exception to the financial aid SAP regulations. Students who exceed the 150 percent credit guidelines due to change of major or double majors may also submit a written appeal.

The written appeal must specifically outline the reason(s) for the progress deficiency and identify what has changed to allow the student to make SAP by the next evaluation. The appeal must contain sufficient documentation to substantiate the reason cited for lack of progress for instance, supporting documentation from a healthcare provider that clarifies the student’s health situation, an obituary, and/or letters of support from relevant professional individuals (not related to the student) are all acceptable forms of documentation. Letters from third party individuals must be on letterhead and contain a hand-written signature. Electronic signatures are not accepted

For students who do not appeal or who are denied an appeal for a semester, an appeal for reinstatement of Title IV aid for a subsequent semester will be accepted for review.

After reviewing the written appeal of a student in financial aid suspension, the Financial Aid Appeals Committee may decide to reinstate Title IV financial aid eligibility for specific periods of the next financial aid award year.

e. Reinstatement of Title IV Aid Eligibility: In order for students to reestablish eligibility to receive Title IV financial aid, one of the following must occur:

  1. Students must meet the minimum requirements for SAP (at least 67 percent cumulative percent of progress, meet the CGPA requirement (2.0 UG or 3.0 GR), and the time frame for degree completion).
  2. The Financial Aid Appeals Committee must approve the student’s written appeal (based on documented circumstances).

​f. Treatment of Transfer Credits, Audits, Incompletes, and Other Grades:

  1. Transfer Credits: All transfer credits that students transfer into IUP are taken into consideration as part of their attempted and passed credits for purposes of measuring SAP percent of progress as well as time frame for degree completion. Non-accepted transfer credits will not count towards measuring pace nor timeframe for degree completion.
  2. Audits, “S,” and “U” Grades: Because course audits, “S,” and “U” grades carry no credits, they are not reviewed or counted for SAP progress purposes.
  3. Incompletes: Designations of “I,” “L,” “R,” and “*” are treated as credits attempted/zero credits passed, thus have no effect on CGPA. However, these designations are treated as non-completed (attempted) credits and have an impact in the calculation of the percent of progress measure and time frame for degree completion. (Note: The “*” is an administrative symbol indicating that a grade was not submitted at the time of grade processing.)
  4. “F” Repeat with Replacement: An “F” repeat with replacement is treated as credits attempted/credits passed/with the quality points (QP) of the new grade replacing the 0.00 QP of the original “F” grade. An “F” repeat has a positive effect on the CGPA, but represents an additional number of credits attempted in regard to the percent of progress and time frame for degree completion measurements.
  5. “D” Repeat with Replacement: Repeated classes that are “D” replacements to a student’s record are treated as credits attempted/zero credits passed/with the quality points (QP) of the new grade replacing the 1.00 QP of the “D” grade. A “D” repeat with replacement may improve a student’s CGPA, but represents an additional number of credits attempten in regard to the percent of progress and time frame for degree completion measurements.
  6. Repeats with Averaging: Courses that are repeated with averaging count as credits attempted/credits passed with the quality points for the class averaged into the CGPA. The maximum time frame for degree completion may be impacted by repeat with averaging classes.
  7. Withdrawals: Designations of “W,” “Q,” “WP,” or “WF” are treated as registered credits/zero credits passed/no effect on CGPA. Any type of “W” designation is treated as noncompleted (attempted) credits in the calculation of percent of progress and time frame for degree completion measurements.
  8. “N” Grades: An “N” grade represents a non-participation failing grade. This counts as credits attempted/zero passed and zero QP will be averaged into determine GPA. This grade is treated the same as an “F” grade.
  9. Pass/Fail Grades: Pass grades are treated as registered credits/credits passed/no effect on GPA. Fail grades are treated as registered credits/ zero credits passed/with zero QP averaged into the calculation of GPA.
  10. Noncredit Courses: Noncredit classes, such as those with Continuing Education Units (CEUs), are not used in measuring sufficient progress, since these classes cannot be applied toward degree requirements and no financial aid may be received for enrollment.
  11. Institutional Credits: Institutional credits are counted as registered credits/credits completed. The QP for the course is not averaged into the student’s overall GPA.
  12. Fresh Start Program/Canceled Semester: Students readmitted under the Fresh Start Program, or who have had a canceled semester, must still meet the financial aid qualitative and quantitative SAP requirements (using all previously enrolled semester data). Federal regulations do not permit the financial aid office staff to remove or ignore any academic statistics.

Unofficial Withdrawal

Federal Title IV student aid recipients who earn a 0.00 GPA at the end of a semester in which they receive federal student aid will be reviewed to determine whether they actually completed the semester. Faculty members will be required to provide information to the Financial Aid office regarding the students’ last date of academically related activity. Based on that date, federal student aid may need to be adjusted.