Jun 14, 2024  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

German Minor

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges and Departments

Study Abroad

The department encourages all students who study German at IUP to consider study abroad for one or two semesters. To provide this opportunity at a relatively modest cost, the university has arranged an exchange of students between Duisburg University and IUP. By participating in this or other approved programs, students can earn from 12 to 14 credits per semester. For information, contact the Department of Foreign Languages.

IUP Course Credit for Acquired Proficiency

Incoming students may receive course credit for their oral proficiency levels in German through the American Council on Education (ACE) Credit Recommendation Service and Language Testing International (LTI), the assessment agency for the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). Students who have taken an ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview (OPI) through LTI, received a proficiency rating by LTI, and received credit recommendation by ACE may receive the following course credits in German at IUP:

ACTFL Oral Proficiency Ratings (LTI) ACE Credit Recommendations IUP German Course Equivalencies
Intermediate-Mid 4 Lower Division credits Either GRMN 102  or GRMN 201  depending on placement on departmental written exam
Intermediate-High/Advanced Low 8 Lower Division credits GRMN 201  and GRMN 220  
Advanced-Mid or higher 10 Lower Division credits GRMN 201 , GRMN 220  and approved conversation elective

To begin the process, students must contact the Foreign Languages Department.

Required Courses:


Total Minor Requirements: 18-19

(1) At least nine of the 18 or 10 of the 19 credits must be taken at IUP. No more than 9cr transfer or study abroad credits will be counted toward the German minor; any additional transfer or study abroad credits will count as free electives.

(2) If a student is exempted from GRMN 201  based on his/her score on the German placement test, the student must instead take a 200-or 300- level course in place of GRMN 201 .

(3) At least 6cr of the minor must be upper-division courses, generally those numbered 300 and above or otherwise designated as upper-division.

(4) All courses taken outside of IUP must be approved by the German minor advisor. Various study abroad opportunities in Germany are available to students through departmental programs and offerings provided by the Office of International Education (OIE).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Colleges and Departments